Sunday, July 25, 2010

Knapsack

I'm not even really sure how I stumbled across Knapsack. I've been really into 90's hardcore, emo, and screamo for the past few years, a decade a friend referred to last night as "the worst era for punk". Obviously I disagree, and amazingly, Knapsack stayed around for almost the entirety of the 1990's. They formed in 1993 in Davis, California, and broke up three records later, in 2000.

Sergie Loobkoff of Solea and Samiam joined on bass in 1997, shortly before the release of their second album, Day Three Of My New Life. The last record, This Conversation Is Ending Starting Right Now, was put out the next year, in 1998; and, personally, is still one of my favorite album titles of all time. Katherine The Grateful (sometimes spelled "Catherine", kinda like the Lifetime Katrina vs. Catrine thing...) is the first track, starting the album out perfectly and setting it up to be a quintessential 90's release.



Two things that are interestingly enough for me to mention here:
1. Blair Shehan, the singer, went on to form The Jealous Sound, who, in 2003, put out a record with the same name as the Cop Hugger tape I posted a few days ago.
2. MTV has a video for Effortless from Silver Sweepstakes and a bunch of streaming songs up on their site, for one reason or another.


Silver Sweepstakes (1995): http://www.zshare.net/download/78664707acca84bb/


Day Three Of My New Life (1997): http://www.zshare.net/download/7866465468b47368/


This Conversation Is Ending Starting Right Now (1998): http://www.zshare.net/download/78664313966fbfd4/

- Rugrat

No comments:

Post a Comment